Yoga Pose of the Day: Upavistha Konasana
"The individual soul realizes itself when it faces the sun."
Upavistha Konasana, seated angle posture, stretches the hamstrings, tones the legs and opens the hips. This calming pose creates length and circulation in the spine.
- Sit with legs a wide distance apart.
- Reach the hands forward, grabbing the outside of the feet.
- Inhale, lift and lengthen the spine.
- Exhale completely, as the pelvis tilts forward.
- Press down into the sitz bones and back of the legs as you breathe.
- Inhale halfway up, and on the exhale, release the posture.
Do not practice if you have any back pain or groin injuries.
As a modification, you may place hands on the ground, in between your legs if your hips are tight.